To use all functions of this page, please activate cookies in your browser.
With an accout for my.chemeurope.com you can always see everything at a glance – and you can configure your own website and individual newsletter.
- My watch list
- My saved searches
- My saved topics
- My newsletter
LANXESS inaugurates new formalin plant in Krefeld-Uerdingen
EUR 18 million investment in new production operations
26-04-2012: Specialty chemicals company LANXESS has officially opened a new formalin production plant at its Krefeld-Uerdingen site. The head of LANXESS' Advanced Industrial Intermediates business unit, Hubert Fink, and Krefeld’s mayor, Gregor Kathstede, officially opened the state-of-the-art plant. Formalin is a feedstock for trimethylolpropane (TMP), a trivalent alcohol used for numerous products in, for example, the automotive, furniture and construction industries. The investment totals around EUR 18 million, creating five new jobs at the site. New formalin and methanol tanks have been constructed along with the plant and its 38-meter high tower on an area totaling 1,000 square meters.
"With our own formalin plant, we're enhancing our site in Krefeld-Uerdingen and continuing to expand our leading position as a manufacturer and supplier of TMP," said LANXESS’ Fink at the ceremony. "Producing formalin on site means we are no longer dependent on buying in this necessary feedstock, thereby also cutting transportation costs. We're also improving energy efficiency and helping to protect the environment thanks to a unique adsorber process."
LANXESS products geared to global megatrends
By investing in formalin, LANXESS is responding to the megatrends of mobility and urbanization – issues that will play a key role in our future lives all over the world. “LANXESS already has the products needed to respond to these megatrends and thus to the markets of the future,” said Fink. The uses of TMP go beyond numerous products in the furniture, construction and automotive industries. One by-product of the production process is calcium formate – an additive that is in great demand on the market. A recent addition to its impressive range of applications is its use as a foliar fertilizer in fruit crops.
Expansion of menthol plant well on target
LANXESS' Advanced Industrial Intermediates business unit is also currently expanding its production plant for menthol at the site. The plant’s capacity will be doubled due to the large global demand for menthol. The expansion project is well on schedule and is due to be completed by the middle of the year. Synthetically manufactured menthol is an important component of many aroma chemicals, for example in the field of oral hygiene and chewing gum. It is also contained in many pharmaceutical products – such as those used to cool painful injuries.
Contact / Request information
Request further information free of charge:
This is where you can add this news to your personal favourites
- CHEMPARK Krefeld-Uerdingen
- 1Drew Industrial Division of Ashland Specialty Chemical Company purchases industrial water-treatment business of London-based Fer
- 2Allegra® Launched in Japan
- 3LG-DOW Polycarbonate Plant Starts Production in Korea to Effectively Meet Regional Needs
- 4Caflon® surfactants from Univar as substitutes for banned nonylphenol ethoxylates
- 5Honeywell Appoints Terrence Hahn as Vice President and General Manager for Fluorine Products
- 6Knoll AG: Pharma business sold for $6.9 billion:
- 7Plurafac LF 303 - Plurafac LF 305: The new generation of low-foam surfactants
- 8Not just cars, but living organisms need antifreeze to survive
- 9Putting electronic cigarettes to the test
- 10Baytron P®– Gateway to a new generation of polymers