SIM Scientific Instruments Manufacturer GmbH offers a LC-GC system for simultaneous determination of MOSH (mineral oil saturated hydrocarbons) and MOAH (mineral oil aromatic hydrocarbons) in routine analyses. A single run can detect all mineral oil residues in just 30 minutes with excellent reproducibility, optimal sensitivity and little solvent consumption.
SIM offers this innovative system for the highly automated analysis of MOSH and MOAH in combination with Agilent chromatography systems and the appropriate software as a complete system from a single source. Mineral oil residues are determined by coupling liquid and gas chromatography with subsequent flame ionization detection (LC-GC-FID). HPLC is performed for two purposes: firstly, it separates the analytes from the matrix (lipids, wax esters etc.) and, secondly, it separates MOSH and MOAH.
Key component of this analysis system is the CHRONECT® LC-GC coupling developed by Axel Semrau®. This ensures that HPLC solvent quantities that are incompatible for gas chromatography can be effectively reduced without risking discrimination or contamination of the analytes. Even volatile hydrocarbons are not lost.
A special highlight of the system is that it is equipped with two flame ionization detectors (FIDs). This enables simultaneous determination of MOSH and MOAH in a single run, resulting in excellent separation of twice the throughput and operating costs cut by half.
Advantages of the LC-GC system for MOSH and MOAH determination
- Simultaneous determination of MOSH and MOAH in a single run
- Analysis results in 30 minutes, including GC detection, backflush and subsequent reconditioning
- Direct LC-GC coupling, so no risk of contamination
- No discrimination of volatile hydrocarbons
- Twice the sample throughput
- Highly automated process
- Excellent reproducibility
- Optimal sensitivity
- Expandable for further applications, such as determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) or sterols
Components of the complete MOSH/MOAH system
- Agilent 1260 Infinity LC with binary pump, UV detector and degasser
- PAL autosampler from CTC
- Agilent GC 7890B with two FIDs for simultaneous determination of the MOSH and MOAH fractions
- CHRONECT® LC-GC coupling
- Data system with controlling and evaluation software (Chronos and OpenLAB CDS ChemStation)
- Accessories and consumables
The complete MOSH/MOAH system is pre-installed and tested in the application laboratory and subsequently delivered directly to the user, ready for use.