My watch list  



A flange is an external or internal rib, or rim (lip), for strength, as the flange of an iron beam or I-beam; or for a guide, as the flange of a train wheel; or for attachment to another object, as the flange on the end of a pipe, steam cylinder, etc, or on the lens mount of a camera. Thus a flanged rail is a rail with a flange on one side to keep wheels, etc., from running off. The term "flange" is also used for a kind of tool used to form flanges.


Plumbing or Piping

see main article Plumbing or Piping

Although flange generally refers to the actual raised rim or lip of a fitting, many flanged plumbing fittings are themselves known as 'flanges':   Common flanges used in plumbing are the Surrey flange or Danzey flange, York flange, Sussex flange and Essex flange. Surrey and York flanges fit to the top of the hot water tank allowing all the water to be taken without disturbance to the tank. They are often used to ensure an even flow of water to power showers. An Essex flange requires a hole to be drilled in the side of the tank. There is also a Warix flange which is the same as a York flange but the shower output is on the top of the flange and the vent on the side. The York and Warix flange have female adapters so that they fit onto a male tank, whereas the Surrey flange connects to a female tank.

ASME/ANSI Pipe Flanges

Pipe flanges that are made to standards called out by ASME/ANSI B16.5 or ASME/ANSI B16.47 are typically made from forged materials and have machined surfaces. They are typically in "Pressure Classes" such as 150#, 300#, 600#, 900# 1500#; however, ASME B16.47 still recognizes the 75# or "Class 75" flange for certain low pressure and low temperature applications. These "Pressure Classes" have both pressure and temperature ratings for specific materials. The flange faces are made to standardized dimensions and are typically "flat face" "raised face" "tongue and grove" or "ring joint" styles, although other obscure styles may be permitted. Flange designs are available as "welding neck" "slip-on" "lap joint" "socket weld" "threaded" and also "blind flange". The gasket type and bolt type are generally specified by the standard(s); however, sometimes the standards refer to the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (B&PVC) for details ( see ASME Code Section VIII Division 1 - Appendix 2 ). These flanges are recognized by ASME Pipe Codes such as ASME B31.1 Power Piping, and ASME B31.3 Process Piping.

Materials for flanges are usually under ASME designation: SA-105 (Specification for Carbon Steel Forgings for Piping Applications) , SA-266 (Specification for Carbon Steel Forgings for Pressure Vessel Components) or SA-182 (Specification for Forged or Rolled Alloy-Steel Pipe Flanges, Forged Fittings, and Valves and Parts for High-Temperature Service).

References for Pipe Flanges

United States

  • ASME B16.5 Standard Pipe Flanges up to and including 24 inches nominal
  • ASME B16.47 Standard Pipe Flanges above 24 inches
  • ASME Section II (Materials), Part A - Ferrous Material Specifications
  • Nayyar, Mohinder (1999). Piping Handbook, Seventh Edition. New York: McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0070471061. 
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Flange". A list of authors is available in Wikipedia.
Your browser is not current. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 does not support some functions on Chemie.DE