My watch list
my.chemeurope.com  
Login  

Polymer fume fever



Polymer fume fever or fluoropolymer fever, also informally called Teflon flu, is an inhalation fever caused by the fumes released when Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, known under the trade names Fluon, Teflon, and Halon) is heated to between 300 °C and 450 °C. When PTFE is heated above 450 °C the pyrolysis products are different and inhalation may cause acute lung injury. Symptoms are flu-like (chills, headaches and fevers) with chest tightness and mild cough. Onset occurs about 4 to 8 hours after exposure to the pyrolysis products of PTFE. Signs: leukocytosis; normal chest x-ray.

Additional recommended knowledge

Resolution: within 48 hours (doubted, see Teflon).

The polymer fumes are especially harmful to certain birds whose breathing, optimized for rapidity, allows toxins which are excluded by human lungs. Fumes from Teflon in very high heat are fatal to parrots [1], and as well as some other birds. (PTFE Toxicosis) http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=18&articleid=2874

See also

  • metal fume fever

References

  1. ^ Athan, Mattie Sue, Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot, p. 126, Barron's Educational Service, 1993, ISBN 0-8120-4996-9
 
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Polymer_fume_fever". A list of authors is available in Wikipedia.
Your browser is not current. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 does not support some functions on Chemie.DE