To use all functions of this page, please activate cookies in your browser.
New company brings together microbes & genomics to improve health, agriculture & industry
The biotechnology company Microomics is a spin-off from the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) and the Catalan Institute for Research and Advanced Studies (ICREA) specialized in microbiome analysis
There may be as many as one trillion species of microbes on Earth. Human beings are estimated to have ten times more bacteria than cells in our bodies. In short, microbes are of the utmost importance for our health and life on Earth, and form part of numerous biotechnological processes. Far from ignoring them, the scientific community has been studying them with interest for some time.
Microomics is one of the outcomes of the microbiome research efforts led by ICREA research professor at the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) in Barcelona, Toni Gabaldón. Microomics is a Spanish company specialized in metagenomics that uses genomic microbiome analysis to create solutions that allow researchers to identify and study microbes with applications in the fields of health, agriculture and ranching, industry or research.
"Our mission is to turn the scientific knowledge on metagenomics and the microbiome into practical solutions for our clients, and society," states Toni Gabaldón, CRG group leader, and co-founder and chief scientific officer of Microomics. "We hope to transform genomic data into knowledge that enables the improvement of aspects such as health, quality of life or the environment," adds the researcher.
- Centro de Regulació…
- 1When will graphene-based applications be available on the mass market?
- 2Producing hydrogen from water
- 3Innovative Battery Chemistry Revolutionises Zinc-Air Battery
- 4Superheroes, foods and apps bring a modern twist to the periodic table
- 5Catalyst transforms plastic waste to valuable ingredients at low temperature
- 6Linde to Build, Own and Operate World's Largest PEM Electrolyzer for Green Hydrogen
- 7Researchers create powerful unipolar carbon nanotube muscles
- 8As hard as a diamond and as deformable as metal
- 9Neither liquid nor solid
- 10First green hydrogen project becomes reality