PPG Industries announced its progress toward achieving its 2020 sustainability goals, which are outlined in the company’s 2014 Corporate Sustainability Report.
In 2014, the company increased energy efficiency and improved employee safety, health and well-being. The company also achieved 27 per cent of its sales from sustainable products during the year, increasing from 21 per cent in 2013.
“Sustainable innovation has driven PPG’s research and development portfolio throughout our history,” said Charles F. Kahle II, PPG chief technology officer and vice president of coatings research and development. “Our customers are seeking coatings products that address a variety of sustainability considerations. From the very beginning, we’ve been positioned to find solutions that make customers’ lives easier and benefit the environment at the same time.”
In addition to growth in sustainable-product sales, the company noted progress toward achieving its 2020 sustainability goals such as:
- Reducing energy intensity by 15 per cent since 2012.
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 12 per cent since 2012.
- Reducing its illness-and-injury rate by 17 per cent since 2012, including a 5 per cent decrease in the injury-and-illness rate since 2013.
- Implementing wellness programs at more than 85 per cent of PPG manufacturing facilities by the end of 2014, a 10 per cent increase over 2013.
- Implementing the company’s community engagement framework at more than 52 per cent of PPG sites, increasing from 48 per cent in 2013.
- Distributing more than $5.7 million in charitable contributions in 2014.